Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Mother's Linguine and Clams

Since we were discussing my response to Laurie's recipe over on Facebook, I figured I should share how my mom makes linguine and clams. "Recipe" is far too formal, but this is her description of what she does. She always makes this for Christmas Eve dinner, with the additional whole clams; the usual recipe just uses the chopped ones.

Without fresh clams (at Christmas I add them for flavor and presentation, steaming them in the broth till they open):

Gently saute not-too-finely chopped garlic (and maybe shallots sometimes?) in a generous pour or two of olive oil. Add clam juice or fish stock and drinkable white wine (more stock than wine) and chopped/minced clams (at Christmas I use LOTS of clams, about a pound for the three of us). Heat through, adding some chopped Italian parsley and black pepper. Stir in cooked linguine and let it get comfortable in the liquid. Although purists say no cheese with fish, I say bah humbug and serve with grated/shredded Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment